Skip to main content

My Parents and My Kids Live At Home

How Room Additions Just Happen

It’s 3am and my son comes home with his wife on Saturday. My home. I must have woken up when he locked his car, because it lets out a HONK when it does and my bedroom is right by the driveway.


I also know that at 8am I’ll have to wake him up to move his car because I’m driving my mother to her swim class. She hated the beach when I was a kid.


My parents and my kids are living at home.

My mother out of necessity. My son out of ‘financial responsibility.’ Those semi-quotes are going to have people raising their brows. Trust me. I’ve read the newspapers -

40% of kids live with their parents


Or the more dire.


Parents who live with their kids live longer


I’m 43. My kid living at home isn’t helping me live any longer. But sometimes I wonder, and It’s just a thought, that maybe my Mom’s going to have a better life living with us. She probably feels the same about me. “Living at my son’s house isn’t keeping me going!”


No matter the case, I realized that the money wasn’t there for a straight move out to a bigger home, and needed to start a room addition project in Los Angeles. The thought crept in when I read.

A room addition means more space

A Room Addition is More Space For You



Adding to the house was eventual. I’m not a contractor who has to gamble on every new hire anymore. Drive around at 4am to make sure it all goes smooth. Most of my work now is planning at home.


So I needed an office that I could turn into an in home theater in my late 60s. But plans don’t go that way. When my mother’s business collapsed in 2008, she was able to keep afloat until late 2009. Out of my friends I’m not the only one whose parents live in their home. I wonder how much of it has to do by generation. I know kids living at home is just another one of those.

Room additions add home value

A Room Addition Adds To Home Value


Which is true but I love my yard, and the worst part is I would run through the plans on a deck I build during the summer, knowing full well that if I wanted a home remodel, it would have to be where it was sitting. I worked closely with LA based remodeling company Novel Remodeling, and no matter how many times I went over the plans-

The deck had to go.


Still. A room addition in Los Angeles will absolutely recoup its cost. Nearly anything you do will improve a home’s cost. I could paint my kitchen and have the bucket, brush, and sink paid off.


I'd miss my deck though. I do miss that deck.


room addition is cheaper than moving


A Room Addition Is Cheaper Than Moving


“It’s cheaper than moving.”


“It’s cheaper than moving.”


“It’s cheaper than moving.”


My father was a carpenter. The bed he made for me is the one my wife and I still sleep on.


But he wasn’t a handyman. Plumbing. Electricity. Home foundation. All of it was a mess when I had to come in after graduation, my first project - keep my parent’s home from collapsing on itself. So I thought -


There’s a frog in South America that buries itself in the mud, freezes solid during the winter, and comes back to life by the time spring touches the earth. Scientists say the thing freezes over so much, becomes so material, that it ceases to be a frog anymore.


And that’s what I imagined myself for that year of working on my parents home. I didn’t need luxury because I was a frog frozen stiff, and I could put the project on my back. At the time, my parents just couldn't afford to hire a professional home remodeler in Los Angeles.


Now at 43 I’m a crab who has grown too big for his shell, and needs to expand it.

room addition fits more family

A Room Addition Fits Your Entire Family



I just got back from dropping my mother off at swim class and I was concerned about the wet tile around the pool. She had a fall a while back because she climbed up on a kitchen counter to reach a pan she never used and broke her hand like that.


So I’m at the kitchen table (now my office) glad she can’t slip underwater.


But I’m still worried. I know my son works 11 - 6. It’s not full time but then again he doesn’t have a full time lifestyle. His wife also works too, but she does full time. It sounds minimum wage but the hours might make up for it, on top of the free rent. It’s not like either of them had to afford a room addition in Los Angeles.


Maybe I should charge.

renting out a room addition

Rent Out Your Room Expansion!



I could charge my son and his wife rent but they both have jobs and are planning, actually planning, to move out to Virginia. Grad school, for her. So getting my kid to move out is at least on a schedule here.


That’s when I learned about Airbnb.


Every six months I effectively ‘quit,’ my job for a couple of months to visit my wife’s family in New Zealand. It’s a rhythm I’ve come to enjoy. If I’m trusting two kids living at home, both with unpredictable futures, I can afford to get paid for it.

I’ve Got Reasons To Expand My Home



I’m not sure what yours are going to be. Whatever I set out to do has evolved with the necessities that life has thrown at me. I’m now sure how I feel about it but at the end I think it makes sense.

my parents and my kids live at home


I’ve slept my car when I was a kid. I hear more in their twenties do it in a van. As the Los Angeles housing crisis boils over, my home belongs to me and it’s my decision to make it better, to prepare for what happens next, family and all. Even with my experience, having a few friends helped out. If you're looking to have a room addition in Los Angeles, contact Novel Remodeling. They'll make it a lot easier.

Comments

Novel Form

Popular posts from this blog

What is Pervious Concrete?

Why Pervious Concrete? Pervious concrete is a combination of aggregate material and paving that is made to mimic the natural filtration of the earth. It helps mitigate - Erosion 60% of river water pollution Seepage after intense rainfall The costly weight that dirty water puts on a city’s filtration system On top of all these benefits, pervious concrete costs around the same as any asphalt installation. For those who haven’t seen it before, pervious concrete seems like smoke and mirrors in the way it takes water, makes it disappear. It’s an old trick through, an invention that has been around since the 1800s - comprised of simple, but ingenious parts. What is Pervious Concrete? Pervious concrete is built on five layers. Pavers - All a variety of colors, looks, and all engineered to allow for swift passage of water in between each one. ⅜” Aggregate - In between the pavers and comprising a complete layer below ⅜” aggregate cr

Bold, Strong, Lasting Types of Patio Cover Materials

Best Patio Cover Materials in LA In Los Angeles, patio covers are a staple as ingrained as the below ground pool. Most homeowners want the freedom a little cover from the shade gives when the sun goes scorching, and the only real big question on the subject of patio covers is - What’s the best type of material for a patio cover ? It’s simple. Aluminum Patio Covers Last Aluminum patio covers are a reliable addition that do what they’re supposed to do; drop a little shade without the extra worry of maintenance. Leave the structure alone. Let it work for you. Aluminum resists anything that the weather can muster, outlasting any other types of patio cover materials on this list. As such, the price of this generous material typically sits 20 - 30% above the regular cost of say - a wooden patio cover. Vinyl Patio Covers Love Variety Sheer variety of appearance. Any hue, tone, texture, make it look like wood, make it fl

Finding Best Roofing Companies in Los Angeles - Roofers LA

Finding Best Roofing Companies in Los Angeles  Los Angeles is full of so many people, it can be considered one of the busiest parts of the west coast. Its heavily diverse, complex and many choices. With so many choices, finding the best product or service is hard.  My Top 3 Choices for Roof Repair Companies in Los Angeles 1. Novel Remodeling Novel Remodeling is my first recommendation as they are affordable and provide high quality roof compared to the rest of the contractors in Los Angeles. Not the cheapest roofing contractor, Novel Remodeling still holds high standards and pass inspections with ease. We recommend John and his crew personally. Over 6-12 referrals a year from my organization and always left my clients fully happy.   2. J and J Roofing J and J Roofing is one of the best reputable roofers in Los Angeles. After reviewing their yelp and google rating, its surprising that I have not tried them yet. Some of the comments about JandJ roofing is how they do amazing